Sunday, March 23, 2014

Japan Goes Country

Confession...we are country music fans. As in - Jennifer brought her cowboy boots to Japan - type of fans. We've been a bit disconnected from country radio lately, but we were in hee haw heaven on Tuesday night when we attended a free concert given by Thompson Square on the base. What a treat! Jennifer saw this same duo open for Lady Antebellum with her Mom at the Staples Center in 2012, but we were a bit closer this time since the show was held in the base movie theater. We usually pop for nose bleed seats, but there really is nothing like seeing a show without binoculars :-).
 
Thompson Square is a country duo that hit it big with their single, "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" a few years ago. After meeting in Nashville, these two independent musicians formed a musical duo and played for 13 years before getting a record deal. Many compliments to their dedication and perseverance! They've also been married for 15 years, so that certainly deserves a shout out as well. The music and singing on stage was even better than the recordings, which is always a good litmus test and the mark of true talent.


Many thanks to Thompson Square for taking time out of their more lucrative touring schedule to perform for the overseas armed forces! They had already played at Yokosuka Naval Base, obviously visited NAF Atsugi, were flying to Okinawa on Wednesday and doing a show in Hawaii before heading home. To top the night off, they took the time to sign autographs and take pictures with anyone who lined up to see them. Needless to say, we waited in line patiently as if we were native Japanese (famous for patience and willingness to wait in line).






Here are some mini video clips from the concert. We hope you enjoy the "show" as much as we did!

 "I Got You"
 
"Glass" - The lyrics to this song are incredible.

"If I Didn't Have You"
 
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" - Breakout hit (note that Shawna's voice was on the fritz due to some overzealous karaoke the night before :-))

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm jealous. How exciting for you to see Thompson Square so close! I can't believe you got your picture taken with them (great picture). I already had 3 of the 4 songs listed above on my Ipod, So commendable of them to tour and perform for the overseas military. Fun videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love country music and this story! I have new respect for Thompson Square now. What a treat for you guys!

    ReplyDelete